After the divorce process is over, yours and your children’s life will change. Your life has to go on. Your kids will grow older, jobs (and their salary) change and divorce agreements that worked in the past are now obsolete. This is the reason why the law makes it possible to modify settlement agreements, as well as court orders made by a judge.

As time passes, you or your former spouse could at some point decide that the current terms of your divorce no longer fit with the existing living situation of your children. Your income probably decreased due to a salary cut, and so you need more spousal support or maybe now that your children are older, they have grown to the point that you need to cover more expenses.

If you and your former partner can agree that changes need to be made, as well as what changes, in particular, the process of modifying the agreement should not be that much of a hassle, especially if the court agrees with your request.

Just like when you and your former spouse got divorced, to modify the agreement you need to consult your lawyers, as they can ensure that your needs and best interests will be protected in the revisions.

A revised agreement must be created and filed with the court so that the new agreement can be court ordered. This is all under the premise that both parties agree with all the changes, because without this, you and your former spouse will end up in court again, with a new set of familiar battles.

The changes in your life and your children’s lives are the main ways you should go about proving that a change is needed as well as pointing out how the life of the other spouse might have changed for the better, and that a revision is needed to keep things fair.