Credentials & Bio
- BA Degree (1965) – City College of New York (CUNY) major in International Politics, minor in literature.
- “Who’s Who among American College Students – 1965”
- CUNY Delegate to International Model United Nations Conference -1964
- Community Service Organizer instituting and directing legal services, Bklyn, NY -1967
- Jurus Doctorate Degree – Brooklyn Law School – 1968
- Admitted to the Bar in New York – 1969
- Admitted to practice in Federal Courts – 1970
- General Law Practice w/ specialization in Matrimonial Law – 1977 to Current
ACHIEVEMENTS & ACCOLADES
- Frequent Analyst and Commentator on COURT TV (Matrimonial and Divorce “expert”)
- Awarded an AV rating (its highest) – Martindale – Hubbell Peer Review Ratings Service Law directory.
- Accepted to The National Advocates: Top 100 lawyers in the Country; exclusive, invitation-only organization.
- Consecutive annual selections 2007 – 2010 – New York Times Super Lawyers Section
- Appointed to the New York City Bar Association Matrimonial Committee as of August 2015.
- “Top Lawyer” in Divorce Law field.
- Certified Law Guardian for Children, State of New York
- Co-Chair of Matrimonial Section of NY County Lawyers Association 2001-2004
- Attorney of record on the winning side of several important and unique Test cases
( see Noteworthy Cases Page for details)
- Former co-chair of the New York County Lawyer’s Association-Matrimonial Section – 2001 – 2004
- Interdisciplinary Committee on Child Custody – 2005 – Present
- Member of the Matrimonial Committee of the Bar Association of the City New York
- Member of The Association of Family and Conciliation Courts – 2014 – Present
Paul E. Rudder, Esq. is a single practitioner and practices in all areas of family and matrimonial law for more than 30 years. While his goal is to negotiate and secure fair and just settlements for his clients, Paul has significant litigation and court room experience in New York State’s Family and Supreme courts.
He started his career as a civil rights and criminal defense attorney, and then administering a community legal services program; all in all, gaining extensive insight into human frailty, real life drama and experiences – in and out of the court room – before focusing on family law.
Paul has a reputation amongst the members of the Matrimonial Bar and the Judges before whom he appears as an outstanding advocate; not only for the spouse he represents but also, separately and distinctly, as the court appointed attorney for child(ren) whose parents are engaged in “high conflict” divorces.
He is sensitive to his clients’ concerns and situation. He explains: “We meet our clients at a time of great stress and disillusion; we encounter their expressions of anger, rejection, and fear”; and he recognizes, whether the case involves child custody, financial support or complex financial matters, that ” these are all deeply personal matters and we, the attorneys together with the judicial system must find the way for each party to locate his/her personal integrity and self without escalating conflict and without sacrificing personal safety or that which is fair and just.”
In his role as advocate, it is necessary to provide counsel and advice and then plan and execute appropriate legal action, or defend against same and even occasionally to suggest refraining from same. All this while always aware of the boundaries of propriety and privacy.
Mr. Rudder is the former co-chair of the New York County Lawyer’s Association-Matrimonial Section, and is a member of the Matrimonial Committee of the Bar Association of the City New York, The Association of Family and Conciliation Courts, and various committees and forums working, acting and interacting on issues confronting divorcing couples and their children.
Paul has lectured on family and matrimonial law topics to public forums and at various professional groups and organizations. He has participated in presentations on matters concerning the counseling and representation of adults and children in custody matters and has given presentations on various matrimonial related matters at programs sponsored by the Supreme Court (New York County), New York County Bar Association and the Interdisciplinary Forum on Mental Health and Family Law and multiple public educational, religious and not for profit organizations.
For several years he was the regular guest commentator on COURT TV providing expert insight to broadcasted divorce proceedings; and he has been repeatedly asked for his opinion and advice by journalists writing for various magazine and print media pertaining to issues of child custody and access pertinent to competing claims as arise during even comparatively civil (respectful ) divorce actions.
During, at least, the past ten years he has been cited annually on the list of New York Super Lawyers (Metro Division). Paul E. Rudder, Esq.is named amongst the Top 100 Divorce Lawyers by the Association of National Advocates, and has been rated AV Preeminent by Martindale Hubbell.
Call (212) 826-9900 to schedule an appointment. Paul E. Rudder, Esq can help you with your divorce and matrimonial situation.
Read articles about divorce and family law here.