• Mon – Sat: 8:30 AM – 8:00 PM
  • Post-Divorce Disputes

    In some cases, when a marriage has ended and the divorce process has been finalized, the couple is able to part ways for good. However, issues sometimes arise after divorces creating post-divorce disputes between the formerly married couple. There are number of issues that can arise after divorce especially if the terms of your divorce decree are no longer applicable to your current situation. In these situations, it may become necessary to revisit the divorce agreement and revise some of the terms.

    In many cases, the substantial and unanticipated change in a financial situation of either ex-spouse is the most common reason that necessitates a review of the financial situation and adjustment to the agreement or prior court order. Other changes that may cause the original divorce agreement to no longer be fair or workable include:

    – The loss of a job

    – One of the parent’s desire to relocate for employment or other reasons

    – A change in your child’s educational or health care needs

    – One of the ex-spouses developing serious illness or physical or mental disability

    Hire An Attorney Who Is Familiar With Post Divorce Disputes

    Paul E. Rudder, Esq. has extensive experience in the area of divorce law and has handled many such cases. In general, all post-divorce disputes in New York City require the close attention of an experienced divorce attorney who is familiar with these types of cases. You will be required to prove the necessity of the modification you are seeking in order to prove to the court that your request for changes are valid.

    While the issues leading to post divorce disputes frequently arise from the nonpayment or requests for modification of payment of child support and spousal maintenance, or the disregard or lack of cooperation in complying with custody agreements and visitation previously ordered by the court, they do not always occur as of a result of willful fault. Most of the time, they arise because one party is unable to meet the terms of the original divorce agreement. Often times, you and your attorney will be able to work through the court and your ex-spouse to create a change or modification, especially if your ex-spouse is amicable. However, you will require legal representation to compel or enforce appropriate behavior or adherence to the court orders or divorce agreement if your former spouse is unwilling to agree to the new terms.

    Schedule A Consultation

    To speak with an experienced divorce lawyer in NYC about your post divorce dispute, please contact attorney Paul Rudder ESQ at (212) 826-9900. We serve the NYC area, including Manhattan. Our office is located in Midtown.