NEW YORK, NY 10022

Divorce and Family Law30 years of straightforward, expert legal counsel.
Divorce Lawyer NYC - Paul E Rudder, Esq

What You Need to Know About Filing for Divorce in Another State 

Filing for divorce in one state while your spouse lives in another state can really muddle your divorce. When divorcing your spouse in such a scenario, you will often deal with two challenges: persuading the state court to accept your case, and persuading your state government to recognize your divorce.

If you have decided to file for divorce, you don't actually have to be in the state that issued your marriage license. Interestingly enough, the court will refuse to hear your case if you no longer live in the state. Instead, you will have to file for divorce in the state where you currently live, or in the state where your spouse resides.

Each state has a residency requirement, meaning you must reside there for a certain amount of years or months before you can file for divorce. These residency requirements vary from state to state, but in New York, there is a minimum requirement of 2 years. You can prove you are a resident with a state-issued driver's license, a lease, a voter registration card, etc.

Most states accept court orders and certified documents issued by other states. Just like if California issues you a driver's license, you can use it to drive in any state, if you get divorced in one state, the verdict will usually be recognized in every other state, although there are some exceptions. No state will recognize an interstate divorce if you failed to properly notify your spouse of the proceedings. If you have children or own property in a state that does not recognize your divorce, the state might refuse to enforce a property settlement or child custody order.

After your divorce is finalized, you might want to go back to court to request a modification to the terms of your divorce settlement. You might want to ask that the custody of your child/children be switched from your spouse to you, or vice versa. Although you don't have to go back to the state that issued your marriage license to get a divorce, you do, however, have to return to the state that approved your divorce to request that the terms of your divorce be changed. If you live in another state, that jurisdiction will usually be willing to impose the new terms of your divorce settlement, so long as your spouse was given proper notice of the proceedings.

Some people choose to get a divorce outside of the U.S. for a multitude of reasons. However, before a state will recognize a foreign divorce, two important requirements must be met; at least one spouse must have lived in said foreign country at the time of the divorce, and the spouse residing in the United States must have been properly notified of the non-U.S. divorce proceedings. In most cases, "proper notification" means notifying in a manner described in an international treaty.

court TV

Guest and Expert Commentator on Court TV (1990 to 2000)


Initial Consultation - $550


Paul Rudder ESQ was one of the main presen-
ters and a panelist at St John's University Law School all day course titled "THE COURT IS IN SESSION: PSYCHOLOGISTS ON THE STAND - A CASE OF A CHILD CUSTODY EVALUA TION" on September 30 2012.

The program presented the issues and concerns in the stages through time in child custody, general issues related to all aspects of the child custody dispute and adjudication, common errors made by professionals, legal challenges likely to be faced, ethical and licensing issues likely to emerge, etc.

What our customers are saying..


  • "Paul Rudder is amazing person and a great lawyer. He has a heart but also great legal skills. He took me through a brutal experience with very good results. I highly recommend him to anyone who needs a divorce attorney"

    Debra W.

  • "I came to see Mr. Rudder at the suggestion of my accountant. I got served with divorce papers and did not know who to turn to. From the moment I stepped into his office, I felt like someone had my back and I was going to be OK. He is not just a lawyer, he is a counselor at law which what a divorce lawyer should be, this is a very personal, emotional experience."

    Anita M

  • "I needed a divorce and there was a lot at stake, significant assets and 2 kids. The divorce was not going to be friendly. There was a lot of hostility between and my now ex-wife. Paul Rudder did everything to avoid heavy litigation, tried to settle and negotiate as much as he could. Eventually we did go to court and this man knows how to try a case. I was very satisfied with the outcome."

    Bill A.

  • "I was about to get married and needed a pre-nuptial agreement. I was recommended Paul Rudder by a friend who used him for his. This is a very difficult and sensitive matter and he really helped me understand and identify my rights, goals as well a fairness to my soon to be wife."

    Alex F.


Contact Paul Eric Rudder


Paul E. Rudder, ESQ - Divorce Lawyer NYC
950 Third Avenue, 11th Floor
New York, NY 10022

T: 212 826-9900
E: paul@paulrudderlaw.com

Blog Facebook Twitter Linkedin 

Divorce and Family Law Articles Archive

Services Provided

Mr. Rudder represents clients in NYC & throughout the Greater Metropolitan area.

(please click on services of interest for more information)

Awards and Distinctions

"Top Lawyer" in Family and Divorce Law in New York Times Super Lawyers Section for (2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012)

"Awarded an AV rating (it's highest) by the prestigious Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings Service Law directory